As a philosophy professor, I investigate the promises and dangers of scientific theory. How do theories about consciousness and climate change influence technology, and how is that technology used, and abused? How are evolutionary and psychological theories used, perhaps illegitimately, to draw conclusions about race, sex/gender, and intelligence? When do we confuse and conflate literal and figurative maps with the world? I have lectured and published on a wide variety of topics in philosophy of science as well as on science more generally.
Here are my areas of interest: philosophy of science, philosophy of biology, philosophy of cartography, political philosophy, ethics, metaphysics and epistemology, philosophy of mind and cognitive science, philosophy of mathematics, philosophy of the social sciences, Pragmatism, History of Philosophy of Science (HOPOS), Kant, post-structuralism, Latin American Philosophy.
1. Education and Appointments?
2. Professional Service?
- Reviewer for 20+ journals.
3. General research content?
- What is the relation between the concrete (e.g., reality, material technology, and the body) and the abstract (e.g., theory, functional design, and consciousness)?
- Which categories of scientific research exist in a plurality of ways?
4. Current specific projects?
+Pragmatic aspects of models and modeling:
- (i) mathematical models (especially in genomics, climate studies, and physics)
- (ii) diagrammatic models (especially of biological mechanisms, and "Tree of life" vs. "Network of life")
- (iii) narrative models (especially in Evo-Devo)
- (i) the genomics of "race" (Wir sind alle Afrikaner)
5. Other intellectual interests? Physics, psychology, literature and poetry, art, architecture, and the study of multiculturalism.
6. Languages? I speak Danish, English, and Spanish. Perhaps one day my French, German, and Latin will improve.
7. Other personal webpages?
Check out the rest of my webpage, if you are interested. Please send me your feedback.
Neues Museum, Berlin, 2010.
UPCOMING TALKS AND CONFERENCES
"The Structure of Scientific Theories,"
University of Toronto,
June 27, 2014
AA Pharmaceutical Scientists, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Foster City, June 19, 2014
Auditorio del CEIICH, Torre II de Humanidades, Piso 4, UNAM, Ciudad de México, 10:00 horas, 28 de mayo del 2014
IIF, UNAM, Mexico City, May 20, 2014
Bay Area Philosophy of Science (BAPS),
SF State University,
San Francisco, May 1, 2014.
Kresge College, UC Santa Cruz, April 12-13, 2014.
PUBLIC LECTURES gladly given
Please contact me @
synthetic styles of thinking, in science and in everyday life.